Y Cliffhanger Event Day Details
FROM START TO FINISH
- A few days before the event, you will receive an email from our team outlining the rapelling schedule. You will be asked to arrive 20 minutes ahead of your rappelling time so you can register, sign your participation waiver, drop off any cash or cheque donations, get “suited up” in your gear, and get used to the equipment before your rappel.
- When you arrive at the Taggart Family Y, you'll register in the tent set up outside the front doors, drop off any cash/cheque donations at registration, sign your participation waiver, and deposit your belongings in the trusted care of our Y Volunteers in bins
- You'll get suited up in your rappel gear, have the opportunity to get used to the equipment and ask questions
- Accompanied by a Cliffhanger volunteer, you will make your way to the 16th floor for roof access
- Next, you'll step onto the roof, speak with the event facilitators briefly and ask any questions, and pose for a few photos
- Then, it's finally time to take the ride of your life!!
- Once you've safely reached the bottom, volunteers will unhook you from the equipment, and take your photo
- And finally, accompanied by a Cliffhanger volunteer, you'll make your way back to the registration tent to remove your equipment and collect your personal items, high five your friends, and breathe a sigh of belief!
THE NITTY GRITTY
- The event will take place at the Taggart Family Y, located at 180 Argyle Ave. on Thursday, June 15, 2017. You'll be asked to provide a few preferred time slots when you register, and we'll do our absolute best to schedule you within your preferred time.
- Our rappelling expert facilitators have confirmed that it is completely safe to rappel in the rain, and that the only reason that the only reason for cancelling the event would be for lightning and thunder, or extremely high winds. In the case that lightning and/or high winds begin to occur, we will decide at that time whether to postpone.
- For those who wear glasses, if contact lenses are an option, please wear them. Glasses and sunglasses can only be worn if you have proper secure head attachments which are safe for heights.
- You must wear shoes – sandals or flip flops are not permitted due to safety regulations.
- We will have a selection of gloves available to participants, but you may bring your own to wear if you wish.
- In the event that it is too windy to set up our registration tent outside, registration will take place in the lobby of the building.
- Paid parking is available underground off of Catherine Street (entrance is between Metcalfe and O’Connor), and there is street parking in front of the Y on Argyle. Participants will receive one complimentary parking pass if required. Any additional parking will be on a pay-own basis.
- There are bike racks available for bike parking in front of the Y.
- You will be asked to deposit all of your belongings into the bins provided at registration – you cannot bring any personal items up to the roof with you.
- Volunteers will be available to help you and provide answers to your questions at all times. You will always be accompanied by a volunteer except on your descent, when a VERA Industrial Access guide will be with you at all times on the wall.
THE FUN STUFF
- Your friends, family, and colleagues are welcome to come and watch you rappel. Signs and cheering are encouraged!
- As a safety precaution, any guests will be instructed to stay away from the “landing zone” at the bottom of the building, which will be monitored by volunteers only.
- There will be a designated spectator zone, and there is also a grassy area across the street where your friends and family can sit to take in all the action.
- Please feel free to wear a costume if you’d like, superhero or otherwise – please no mascot costumes, though.
- Participants will not be allowed to bring cell phones, cameras, sunglasses, etc. up to the roof with them – if you wish to bring a GoPro camera, there will be mounts to place them on the helmets. Regular cameras or phones are not permitted.
- There will be a professional videographer/photographer on site to capture all of the action, and to provide photos and video to you after the event.